This week, my primary goal was to "get my ducks in a row" so to speak, and get this website organized! However, as someone who is not particularly tech savvy, this was easier said than done.
My first step to accomplish this task, was downloading the Elementor plugin on WordPress, and selecting a theme to customize. Because I did not have a clear vision as to what I wanted the site to look like, nor did I know how to use Elementor, my initial approach was to simply test things out in the tool, and then flip back to my site to see what it looked like from the other perspective. Moreover, I typically learn best with a hand's on approach.
However as you would expect, I quickly realized this was not an efficient nor effective tactic. Therefore, I utilized the video resources on Elementor Academy, which provided detailed tutorials on various aspects of website set up and design. From here, I learned how to change the theme colours and fonts, as well as how to use different widgets on my pages and posts.
When making my vision board, I created a mindmap, with "health" in the centre, and everything contributing to one's health in the web. Considering this ideation of how I imagined content to flow, I was able to come up with an organization for content that will make sense to me, as well as potential readers.
I decided that my landing page will be a static page that will introduce my readers to me, and what my blog is all about! Then for content, I will have a category corresponding to each component of health, located in the top menu bar of the site. This will allow the reader to easily retrieve the content relevant to them! For example, if the reader is only interested in physical health, they can navigate directly to this tab and find all my related posts. So far, I have posted an introductory blurb in each category to familiarize readers with the topic, as well as provided some starting resources.
Additionally, there will be a specific category for my process posts to reside, titled "Behind the Scenes".
Although my site still has lots of room for adjustments and improvements, I am incredibly happy with the progress made thus far. As for next steps, I have recently installed the Google Analystics plug in, and I am looking forward to exploring its capabilities further in the coming weeks!
For now, here are some resources that I used to get me started: